Format invites artists and curators to submit proposals for exhibitions within the gallery space during 2012.
Format gallery is an entirely artist/volunteer run exhibition space, directed towards artists who seek to exhibit challenging, unconventional and exceptional work.
We’re looking for emerging and semi-established artists, professionally trained or untrained, to exhibit for a four week period. We will consider proposals for both solo and group shows. You are also welcome to submit a proposal for half the gallery space, or just the project spaces. Fees will be adjusted accordingly.
A four week exhibition using the entire gallery space will cost you $200. This price includes:
* An opening night complete with witty bar staff and extra reasonably priced wine and beer.
* Promotion of your exhibition through Format’s extensive online network, and assistance with the production and distribution of hard copy promo material via negotiation.
* Gallery staff to look after your show during standard Format opening hours.
* Access to a modest collection of hanging gear and various tools for use during installation. (Please supply your own gear if you have specific installation requirements)
* A contribution towards rent and maintenance costs, in order to keep Format alive and twitching.
* Two cubicle-sized project spaces with optional transparent perspex windows, ideal for site specific work that requires containment or separation from the main gallery space.
What we need from you:
* A one page proposal providing an idea of the work you propose for the exhibition, and how you intend to incorporate it into the gallery space. Keep it concise and to the point. Your proposal may develop following submission, however, we initially need a strong indication that your work will be conceptually and/or aesthetically engaging.
* A brief Bio and CV
* Up to 5 sample images of work that is closely related to your proposal. 2mb maximum per image.
Here’s some words to help you along: Aardvark, Zzebra, spasm, plasma, laser, ear, fear, dear, squid, ink, stink, lollies, trolleys.
Email your proposals to
with the subject heading 2012 PROPOSAL
DEADLINE: FRI 16 March 2012
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter